About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Matching Game

 
We have a variety of matching and/or memory games for Sofía to play and learn with.  I pull them out every so often, but she hasn’t really been into ANY aspect of them---until yesterday.  She pulled out her lower and upper alphabet flashcards en Español and started playing the “matching” game with Paquita the gata.  When I asked her what she was doing, she told me that she was playing the matching game (with Paquita) that her Papi taught her yesterday.  Really?  I’ve been pushing that game for months and HE gets the credit?  The flashcard set is a HORRIBLE set.  I bought it off Amazon for literally pennies, but it is NOT well-made at all and I don’t recommend it to anyone.  (If you are interested in my online review, you can find it here.)  BUT….the matching game that can be played with it is really good and obviously Sofía likes it.  For right now, Sofía matches the pictures and is learning the upper and lower case letters of the alphabet at the same time.  She can play it alone, with the gata, or with me where I can emphasize sounds and letters, really reinforcing the phonemic awareness that toddlers and preschoolers need to learn in order to read.  I suppose it doesn't really matter who taught the game to her.....it's the outcome that is important.........but still, REALLY
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment