About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Dunstan Baby Language

When Sofía was about two months old, I finally got around to watching a video, Dunstan Baby Language, that a friend had given me. By then I was familiar with all the sorts of sounds and cries that Sofía made and I could subconsciously recognize when she wanted to eat and sleep. But I was blown away by this video. To put it in a nutshell, the creator, Priscilla Dunstan, has some kind of photographic memory for sound. She used this ability to research and classify baby cries all around the world. What she found was incredible. She discovered that ALL infants make the same kinds of cries when they are hungry, tired, need to be changed, burped, etc…the video teaches you what these sounds are and what they mean so that you can attend to your infant accordingly. At first when I read the leaflet, I thought, this must be a crackpot, but if Amy sent it to me, then it must have some validity. I watched the DVD and was immediately amazed! The sounds that Dunstan described and addressed were the exact same sounds that Sofía made all day long! I was ecstatic! It was so cool!!! I insisted that my husband watch the DVD also and he too was impressed. We were able to distinguish all the sounds from the DVD that Sofía made. This would definitely make a unique gift for someone with a newborn!  Here is a short excerpt from the DVD.




No comments:

Post a Comment