About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Marnix

At music class, Sofía made friends with one of the little boys. He walks and she is intrigued by this. We set up a play date in addition to the class. Sofía had a blast and I enjoyed his mother’s company as well. The family is from Holland. The parents only speak to Marnix in Dutch and expect he will pick up his English from all the other exposure. We don’t have a very large Dutch community where we live, but I imagine that we do have a good representation since there are many multinational companies here. I love it because, by nature I assume, Marnix’s mother also speaks to Sofía in Dutch. Now, I don’t expect Sofía to really learn any Dutch, but I do want her to have the exposure to the other sounds that we don’t have en Español or English. Marnix is going to be a big brother soon, (like today or tomorrow) so we probably won’t be seeing them for a while, but when we do, I know Sofía is going to be THRILLED. She calls him “gato”. She calls all boys and girls she sees “gato”. Anyway, when it was time for us to go, she threw a fit and started crying! Nice, eh? Marnix had this fancy tricycle that he was “riding” when we arrived. Here is a stock foto of it. It looks really cool and has the capability to grow with the toddler. You can find it from little tikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment