About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Friday, March 19, 2010

The CVS Lynching!

The other day in the store, the cashier asked me if Sofía was my daughter! I wanted to reach over (insert the Lioness ROAR here) and grab the little weasel by the pescuezo and say, “Can’t you see that she has my hair and my nose? My smile, my cheeks, my olive green skin tone?” What is it with people that think a mother wants to hear OVER AND OVER how her child (whom she carried for 279+ treacherous days) doesn’t look anything like her? I admit that Sofía DOES have her Papi’s eyes and they are big and bright and brown.  Don’t get me wrong, I think my husband is the most handsome man in the world, so I could have 90 more children that look like him and be happy, but really---asking me if she is my DAUGHTER?  Can't you see the resemblence?

3 comments:

  1. Haha! That's so funny! I always get people that say 'They must look like their daddy'. So I usually reply 'they got their daddy's good looks and their mama's brain'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! The latest is, "Sofia is so sociable (or whatever) just like her great-grandfather." Always the great-grandfather....Never mind that she spends 23 hours a day with ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel bad. Tucker looks just like Gary too but Maya looks like me. It was SO NICE the first time a complete stranger said, "Oh my she's beautiful. She look *just like* her mommy too!" That happened about a year or so ago, so it was quite a long time after my first pregnancy and labor before I heard it. :-)

    ReplyDelete