About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Wash Your Hands! The Sequel Part I of Mi Madre is un Language Nerdo!

In a previous post, I mentioned how I had evaluated Sofía’s language comprehension en Español, but that it would take me awhile to do the same in English considering that the majority of her Enlgish language input is environmental and not controlled, meaning I wouldn’t know what to test her on because I don’t know what she has been learning. Well, here is Part I of the Sequel of the Mi Madre is un Language Nerdo Cliffhanger. I was left Amazed! 

Sofía and I were visiting friends. We were sitting in the dining room. From the stairs, in English, my friend called to her daughter in the kitchen to “wash your hands”. Sofía immediately stopped what she was doing and trotted into the kitchen signing “to wash hands”. This is one of the signs that she learned from the Baby Signing Times DVD-which is in English of course. I was shocked! I couldn’t have devised a better more accurate test! Sniff, sniff….I’m proud to be a Language Nerdo Mamá!

No comments:

Post a Comment