About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Sembrando Pasto

Our gatos, like many others, like to eat grass or pasto. We don’t let our indoor gatos go outside on the lawn, so throughout the year we supply them wheat pasto to munch on inside. Sofía helped me plant this batch of pasto. I admit, I normally am not the one who plants the pasto, so I am not all that good at it. I let Sofía dump the dirt in the pot and then with her clammy little hands she grabbed as many seeds as she could and put them in the pot…several times. (I didn’t think it was a big deal if there was an abundance of seeds.) We then covered the seeds with more dirt. I let her fill up cups of water and then walk them over to the pot to water the new seeds. She had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the mess she made. If I wasn’t so dirty myself, I would have taken a picture of her, but all I could do was take an “after” picture. The “after” picture was worth it though. Evidently you are not supposed to put so many seeds in the pot. Wheat pasto grows quickly and throughout the day, I saw clumps of dirt beginning to rise forming little mountains with sporadic blades of pasto popping through. It has, to say the least, made an interesting mess in the kitchen. We now must take it out daily and remove some of the dirt before it topples over onto the floor with the grass growth. Oh well, it was fun and worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment