About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What Do You Do All Day?

This must be the number one question people ask me when they find out that I stopped working in public and private education to work at home raising my gata. I’m an educator. I have a plethora of activities, both educational and non-educational to fill Sofía’s day. When I run dry on ideas or reach an area I’m weak in, I research. As an educator, we not only study our subject area, but how to best TEACH that subject, educational psychology, and human behavior. We need to know how our students’ brains work so that we can tailor our teaching to help him or her learn. No, not everyone can teach, but everyone can learn.
Much of our day is spent eating, preparing and cleaning up after meals, and sleeping. By nature Sofía has gotten into a routine that repeats itself all day long. She wakes up, eats, plays, and sleeps. Every day I try to give her physical activities that will help her develop age-appropriate fine and gross motor skills, read books, and provide her with a language rich environment. (Which means I am narrating what I am doing and talking to her constantly.) I also subscribe to two websites that kind of give me a heads-up on developmental goals as they approach. http://www.babycenter.com/ and http://www.whattoexpcect.com/ . It sounds like it the day is easy, but it is not. I suppose if I were not to interact with her constantly and put her in front of the television, then it would be easier, but I do not. As my husband says, “It is exhausting!”

1 comment:

  1. "All kids can learn, but not in the same way and not on same day"- not totally related but your comment that everyone can learn made me think of the quote- I love it.

    ReplyDelete