About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Favorito Things

Ding! Can you hear Julie Andrew’s voice singing, “Raindrops on roses, and wishers on kittens; Brown copper kettles and warm woolen mittens;” Well, I Thought I would start off the Año Nuevo sharing some of MY favorito things…some random blogs and podcasts.
I’ve started to listen to podcasts while doing my daily walk/jog in the morning. I thought it wasn’t going to help, but it really is easy to fly. Sometimes I don’t want to stop! Anyway, I like to use that time to breathe, reflect, and recharge. Sometimes what I listen to is helpful and sometimes I listen to things that are National Enquirey Trashy! But here are the podcasts:

Happiness Matters. These two women talk in brief 15 minute podcasts about raising happiness in one’s life, frequently referred to as the science of joyful kids and happier parents. This is definitely my favorito.

Childhood Matters. This podcast features one of the same hosts from Happiness Matters and addresses all sorts of parenting issues, topics, joys and concerns. They also have a sister show en Español called, Nuestros Niños, but I really, really don’t like it.

Living the Dream Mom. The host Nina Fry boasts that she is a real mom in a real world and hits on all sorts of topics. It reminds me of a magazine….sometimes it has podcasts that are really deep and moving and others are pop culture trashy. You have to pick and choose.

I also read a few blogs here and there, but there are a few that I try not to miss. One is the called 365 days in Our Shoes. It is written by my husband’s cousins who have triplets. They talk about the everyday life of raising children times three! I love reading it because the trillizas are almost exactly one year older than Sofía and so it has been very helpful to me to read about what things Sofía may do BEFORE she does it and it gives me a sense of “I’m not alone.”.
The other blog that I read is called Not So Spanish. I read it because it makes me laugh to the point of crying and reminds me of all the funky cultural things I’ve seen having lived in la USA, Colombia and España.

So here you have just a few of my favorite things….blogs and podcasts. Hope you will find them in your favoritos also. I would love to check out anyone else’s favoritos if you would like to share!
¡Feliz Año!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for mentioning me in your blog! I am honored.

    ReplyDelete