About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Hoyos

I was reading this post from Not So Spanish which basically addresses some cultural differences in regards to health.  Sometimes it is hard to erase cultural beliefs even with scientific research.  I have a zillion stories that I could elaborate on, some of which left me dizzy with disbelief and feeling like I was in a Twilight Zone episode, but I learned something new a few days ago.  I was talking with my suegra, Sofía’s abuela, about ear-piercing in Perú.  She said that when a baby was born, (at least some 30 years ago) the nurses would perform various tasks and asked you what you wanted done to the baby.  Ear-piercing, circumcision, or to make hoyos, dimples.  (I think in España they are called Hoyuelos) I was stuck on the hoyos.  I wanted so badly to tell her about hoyos, but I bit my tongue and remembered how hard it is to convince someone that an old wives tale is NOT true.  Hoyos are a genetic trait that are caused by a birth defect. I think that my husband has only one hoyo.  Maybe the nurse got side tracked by some other screaming baby having her ears pierced and didn’t finish the job.  The verdict is still out on whether or not Sofía will have or has hoyos. But I can ASSURE you that no one was playing around with her cheeks after she was born!

No comments:

Post a Comment