About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

El Dia de los Muertos


Today is El Día de los Muertos.  If you don’t know about the festivities, there are tons of resources out there to give you a plethora of information.  But in short, it is a holiday where one honors someone who has passed away by celebrating his or her life.  Usually the person is a family member, but does not have to be.  There are so many traditions connected with this simple idea.  One tradición that is usually done is to create an ofrenda or a display to honor the person.  I used to teach my students all about El Día de los Muertos and we used to put on a huge ordeal.  Students made their own ofrendas and added their own cultural twists to them also.  El Día de los Muertos is celebrated in many (not all) Spanish-Speaking countries, especially México, but it is also celebrated in many other countries as well.  Some of those countries celebrate it on the same day and others have it at different times of the year.  Some of those countries include Korea and China.

So even though I’m not teaching at a school anymore, I still like to create my ofrenda every year.  I think that it is a super linda tradición and I want Sofía to hear all the stories of my Oma as I put it all together.  This year I couldn’t create an ofrenda for my Oma because we have two gatitos who are into EVERYTHING and I didn’t want it to be destroyed.  Luckily I have a really good foto of the ofrenda so that I can still easily tell the stories to Sofía!

No comments:

Post a Comment