About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Bedtime Story Revelation

One night, while I was rocking Sofía before bed, she started asking me her usual“¿Cómo se llama…um…” en inglés.  We had just given her a bath and combed out her hair, so it seemed pretty normal for her to ask how to say, “peineen inglés.  I answered her, “comb”.   Her response:  ¿Hmmm…..es “come” o “comb”?  Of course, I answered her; she soaked it up, repeated it, contemplated it, and then went on to ask me another question.  I was jumping out of my SKIN!!!  I knew she could differentiate between sounds, what I wasn’t quite aware of is that she could verbalize the process! For those of you who do not know, these are two sounds that are very hard for foreigners to differentiate between.  Ah….proud moments of a Language Nerdo Mamá!

No comments:

Post a Comment