About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Our Crashed Torre de Babel

My husband and I feel that it is imperative that Sofía grow up bilingual. We have made a conscious effort to surround her with a language-rich environment en Español , because once she becomes social and goes to school, English will more than likely be the dominant language. We only speak en Español at home unless we have company that doesn’t speak Spanish. We’re not perfect, but we are pretty good at not filling her oral environment with Splanglish. I do have a few words I use in English because I feel that every now and then you come across words that just feel better in one language or the other. But they are few and far between.

No comments:

Post a Comment